Hi, I’m Maxi (mom, certified yoga teacher, PhD, SE practitioner trainee and 600h Ayurveda Health Counselor trainee). For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a source of healing in this world.
I believe that when we attune to the body’s sensations, the body starts to reveal a guidance and wisdom towards healing that far surpasses the analytical mind. As we awaken to the body’s sensations, we awaken to a different perspective of ourselves, more firmly rooted in agency and self-knowledge. From this point we can make better decisions and shape a more harmonious inner and outer environment.
In my work I empower people of all walks of life to reconnect to their inner agency and come to a better inner perspective for themselves.
Central to my work is holding space every weekday morning in our Mysore Yoga room. My teaching is always personal and geared towards the individual in front of me. In my teaching I use practices such as Ashtanga Yoga, Vinyasa Krama Yoga, Restorative Yoga, Embodied Coaching, Yoga Philosophy, Pranayama, Ayurveda and Chanting.
Personally, I know what it’s like to feel lost, imbalanced and hassling through life, pushing body and mind beyond limits, driven by insecurity and fear. This was my life for many years until I started to refocus and reconnect to my body.
The clarity, focus, joy and agency I find through my dinacharya (daily rituals of yoga, Ayurveda and paying attention) are just unparalleled and have greatly helped me take a deep root within myself while cultivating more harmony in my inner and outer world.
My wish is to offer a safe space for you to foster awareness and deep understanding from within. I will offer you practical, safe and simple somatic tools and insights to help you feel balanced, anchored from within and in harmony. These tools will help guide you no matter the complexities in your life and what comes your way.
In 2010, Maxi founded Bhumi Yoga in Groningen. Meanwhile Maxi’s work at Bhumi Yoga has become very valued not just for the personal and inclusive approach to teaching but also for creating a real community around the yoga school. A community where everyone “feels at home” and a sense of belonging.
Maxi’s teaching is distinguished by her clear and compassionate guidance and her ability to relate and connect with just about anyone willing to learn. She will figure out a way that anyone can enjoy the practice of yoga safely at any stage in their life.
In her work,
Maxi light-heartedly and skilfully integrates her extensive experience and understanding about yoga, the complexities of life, the human body, brain and behavior stemming from:
- 12+ years of experience teaching yoga daily at her yoga school, in companies and workshops (inter)nationally and two decades of her own yoga practice
- 9+ years of providing yoga coaching to people of all ages, physical needs and backgrounds
- Extensive yoga teacher education (3000+hour of comprehensive yoga teacher, yoga therapy and pranayama training with leaders in the field such as Eddie Stern, Robert Moses, Nancy Gilgoff, Matthew Sweeney, Bo Forbes, Andrea Lutz, David Garrigues and Ronald Steiner, to name a few) while also having practiced at the source in Mysore with Sharath Jois, being a returning shala practitioner of Sharmila Desai of Morjim.
- 600 hour training to become an Ayurvedic Health Counselor with Hale Pule (ongoing)
- 4 years of scientifically investigating the effects of yoga on emotional well-being (peer reviewed publication)
- Being an expert on the physiology and psychology of stress (PhD in Medical Sciences, Post-doc in Cardiology, further completed master of science in Exercise Physiology at UT Austin)
- Large-scale experience working with and relating to different populations of people as a yoga teacher, mentor, personal coach, teacher for yoga teachers, thesis supervisor for master, exercise physiologist for high performing athletes as well as for patients in cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation and as a rowing coach
- Being under a lot of pressure herself while being on the German national rowing team (jr world champion twice, 1997 & 1998), a Division 1 rower for the Ohio State University 1999-2003, PhD life…